Physician - Hospice
Company: Vitas Healthcare
Posted on: November 27, 2022
Short Description - The medical director shall be a physician
licensed to practice medicine in the state where the hospice is
located. In his/her absence, the medical director shall designate
another physician to serve as acting medical director.Description
for Internal CandidatesThe medical director of VITAS fulfills two
primary functions, each of which is expected to consume
approximately one half of the time and work effort of the
- The medical director has overall responsibility for medical
direction of the care and treatment of patients and their families
rendered by the hospice care team, and shall consult and cooperate
with the patient's attending physician. - The medical director
provides physician direction and guidance to the hospice program,
its physician employees, and other staff and volunteers to assure
the maintenance of quality standards of care for patients and
- The medical director educates practicing physicians and others
engaged in health care services regarding the hospice program and
its potential benefits to patients.In fulfilling the two primary
functions explained above, the medical director performs the
- Quality of Clinical Care
- Assure appropriate evaluation and certification of terminal
prognosis of patients.
- Assure the quality of initial plans of care.
- Assure the quality of comprehensive plans of care.
- Assure the accuracy of documentation.
- Review revocations.
- Review recertifications of terminal prognosis.
- Review the quality of pain and symptom management.
- Provide medical expertise on pain and symptom management to
admission and patient care staff.
- Provide medical expertise on the evaluation of terminal
prognosis to admission and patient care staff.
- Actively participate in formal QI functions and
- Actively participate in Interdisciplinary Group.
- Actively participate in Ethics Committee.
- Interact with attending physicians as necessary regarding pain
and symptom manage -ment issues and issues involving patient
- Periodically attend home care team meetings and rounds in
- Supervision of team physicians (home care and inpatient)
- Interview and participate in the hiring and contracting of team
physicians with the general manager, patient care administrator
and/or team manager.
- Orient team physicians as to clinical responsibilities and the
principles of palliative medicine.
- Periodically review the quality of clinical care provided by
the team physician.
- Periodically review the quality of the quality of the
documentation of visits made by the team physician.
- Assure that documentation of visits supports the CPT coded
level of - - service billed.
- Ensure proper team physician participation and support in team
- Ensure proper team physician support to the VITAS nurse, team
manager, and other clinical team members.
- Participate with the team manager in the yearly formal
evaluation of the team physician.
- Ensure that a physician on-call rotation is established so that
there is team physician support available 24 hours a day, 7 days a
- Participate as an active member of the local/regional
management team (includes budget process, strategic planning,
- Actively participate in responding to audits and denials from
third party insurance and intermediaries (i.e. Medicare)
- Ensure that all contracted physicians (team physicians and
consulting physicians) are properly credentialed via the VITAS
- Serve on the VITAS Credentialing Committee.
- In Wisconsin the medical director also supervises the following
functions of the consultant pharmacist:
- Ensure medications are utilized within accepted standards of
- Ensure a system is developed and maintained that documents the
disposal of controlled drugs.
- Community Relations
- Educate community physicians on the principles of palliative
- Provide resource and consultative support to community
physicians in palliative medicine.
- Attend and present at medical staff and other medical community
conferences on palliative medicine.
- Serve as liaison between the hospice and community
- Make regular contacts with practicing physicians to introduce
the hospice program, to educate physicians regarding individuals
for whom hospice may be appropriate, and to answer clinical and
other concerns of physicians with respect to hospice.
- Assist in introducing the VITAS program to long term care
providers, managed care providers, hospitals, and others.
- Conduct educational seminars, in services, and presentations to
physicians, nurses, and other health care audiences whose support
for and understanding of the hospice program is integral to
assuring that hospice services are made accessible to patients and
- Education and Research
- Assist in the development of and actively participate in
clinical training for all hospice patient care and admissions
- Actively participate in medical and nursing education programs
on palliative medicine that may be provided by VITAS to medical and
nursing colleges in the community.
- Assist in the development of and actively participate in
research protocols on both the local and corporate level.
- Be a member of and participate in professional organizations
related to palliative medicine.QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of the principles and practice of primary medical
care, with at least a working knowledge of oncology.
- Knowledge of palliative care with particular emphasis on
control of symptoms associated with terminal illness.
- Ability to work collaboratively with patients' attending
physicians to implement the hospice program and effect optimum
- Ability to work collaboratively with hospice employees and
volunteers as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Membership in good standing on the medical staff of an
accredited hospital in the state in which the hospice is
- Medical malpractice and liability insurance in amounts and with
carriers satisfactory to VITAS.
- Positive recommendation to the general manager or area vice
president from corporate medical officer.EDUCATION
- License to practice medicine in the state in which the program
- BE/BC AAHPM -
- Board certification in a medical specialty which deals with
care of the terminally ill, such as Internal Medicine, Oncology or
Family Practice, with at least a working knowledge of medical
oncology and demonstrated expertise in the principles of palliative
medicine and symptom management.ABOUT USVITAS - Healthcare is the
nation's leading provider of end-of-life care, and has the
resources and expertise to support your personal and professional
growth. - As a member of the VITAS team, you'll find fulfillment
working for a people-focused organization dedicated to making a
difference in the lives of others. You will be more than just an
employee: You will be counted on as an expert in your field, and as
a valued team member whose efforts are respected and vital to our
hospice mission. - All VITAS employees commit to fulfilling their
duties and responsibilities with the highest regard for
professionalism, collaboration and teamwork, and an eye focused
constantly on growth and improvement. We serve with commitment and
compassion, and position ourselves for the future by embracing,
innovating, and leading change. If you are that person, make your
voice heard-find your purpose at VITAS today.Benefits Include:-
Competitive compensation - - Health, dental, vision, life and
disability insurance- Pre-tax healthcare and dependent care
flexible spending accounts- Life insurance- 401(k) plan with
numerous investment options and generous company match- Cancer
and/or critical illness benefit- Tuition Reimbursement- Paid Time
Off- Employee Assistance Program- Legal Insurance- Roadside
Assistance- Affinity ProgramSPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
- EOE/AA M/F/D/VPandoLogic. Keywords: Medical Director, Location:
Cincinnati, OH - 45249
Keywords: Vitas Healthcare, Cincinnati , Physician - Hospice, Accounting, Auditing , Cincinnati, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!