Interpreter Language Services (Spanish)
Company: Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Provide language access services (e.g. interpreting and
translation) for individuals who are deaf, hard-of-hearing, blind,
or have limited English proficiency.
The Interpreter; who has demonstrated proficiency in speaking and
understanding both spoken English and at least one other language;
interprets effectively; accurately; and impartially; both
receptively and expressly; to and from such language(s) and
English; using any necessary specialized vocabulary; terminology
and phraseology; while adhering to generally-accepted interpreter
* Facilitate communication between LEP, deaf, or hard of hearing
patients and families and medical center staff by providing
accurate, comprehensive and professional medical interpreting
services in-person or remotely.
* Recognize the complexity of the clinical encounter and language
barrier by identifying cues regarding level of understanding and/or
need for clarification. Set tone of the encounter to manage spatial
configuration and flow of communication to preserve accuracy and
completeness, and to assess and address potential areas of
discomfort for patient (age, gender of interpreter, no previous
experience with interpreters).
* Adhere to generally-accepted interpreter ethics principles such
as NCIHC's National Code of Ethics for Interpreters in Health Care,
IMIA's Code of Ethics, and RID's Code of Professional Conduct.
Perform short, written translation of discharge instructions.
* Conflict Resolution
* Serve as first level problem resolution for medical center staff
of issues related to language access services.
* Escalate issues to management team as necessary.
* Responsible for research, analysis and resolution of complex
issues and questions in a timely manner.
* Identify patterns in issues and participate in determining and
addressing root causes.
* Accurately document and close issues.
* Maintain positive relationship with medical center staff.
Anticipate and actively engage in problem solving and build upon
* Diffuse conflict between parties by remaining calm and impartial
yet knowing when to intervene as intercultural mediator when
communication is compromised by culture-bound messages.
* Use culturally-appropriate behavior and be able to choose the
appropriate time to clarify or interject by respecting the goals of
the encounter while respecting own personal values, beliefs, and
* Acknowledge these elements when considering whether to withdraw
from encounters where these factors may interfere with successful
* Maintain currency in the field by attending continuing education,
training, certification, or accreditation that is available and
appropriate to maintain the highest standards for delivery of
* Monitor and analyze reporting to measure and improve processes.
Act as a resource for interpreter schedulers and management.
* High school diploma or equivalent
* 2 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
* Or equivalent combination of education and experience
* Spanish speaking linguist.
* Language Comprehension
* Proficiency in speaking/understanding spoken English and
Keywords: Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati , Interpreter Language Services (Spanish), Other , Cincinnati, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!